Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Pain

I ache. My right wrist is not functioning properly. My thigh has alternated between dull pain and a searing burning sensation all day. What is the cause of this dreadful affliction, I hear you ask... A deadly tropical disease? A genetic defect? No, someting far worse. Manual labour. Not even particularly challenging manual labour - no carrying of heavy objects. Simply painting. Walls and ceilings. With rollers and paintbrushes.

My brother is moving into a new flat that requires redecoration (and cleaning, but that is a separate issue - I am constantly amazed at the filth some people can bear to live in). So I helped for a couple of hours yesterday - painting things white, cutting in, etc... Covered in paint, which proves very difficult to removes when one is as hairy as I. And I repeatedly got paint in my eyes. Water-based, fortunately, as I would imagine that white spirit smarts a little when applied to the eye.

So, after a shower, there is still paint in/on my fingernails, and when I retired to bed last night it was with the weariness of someone removed from the comfort of a computer chair and thrust into the challenging world of movement during work. And fell asleep immediately.

This morning, however, I awoke with the symptoms outlined above. A long hot shower did nothing, and I was very concious of usual 15 minutes walk to the Tube a) taking longer and b) hurting much more than usual.

"The worker of the world has nothing to lose, but their chains, workers of the world unite."
Karl Marx

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's cutting in?

Hope your aches and pains have gone. Wait another seven years and they'll be permanent, just from doing nothing.

2:27 am  
Blogger lukeski said...

What has happened at your place? All posts July-November vanished. A cryptic post?

12:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, just a move. An awful pain, actually, but I'd better stick with it now that I've taken half the plunge.

11:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home