Saturday, December 10, 2005

End of an era















Yesterday saw the final Routemaster journey in London. The 159 that terminated at Brixton bus garage was the last trip on a real route - just short of 50 years since the buses came into use. The bendy buses and other faceless abominations that may be ecologically sound have won, and a true London icon has been lost. There are excellent homages to the Routemaster on the BBC and the Routemaster Association.

My passion for these buses stems from my university days, living up on Finchley Road. I used to be able to catch the Number 13 every day, either to the Tube, or, as tended to be my want after a particularly late lecture, I could travel all the way from Strand, up Regent Street, Oxford Street, through St John's Wood and Swiss Cottage, and finally home. And then risk certain death in the winter trying to disembark onto an icy pavement from the platform.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, sad days indeed. I travelled to school on them every day for five years, and there was many a happy moment. Conductors were a particular joy. I always remember the frequent humiliation, as the bus drew nearer to Notting Hill Gate and the passengers got posher, of getting bollocked by middle-aged ladies for not dashing to my feet quickly enough to give up my seat. Majorly nerdy boys in my class used to RM-spot, and even ask me to note down the number of the bus I travelled in on. Well, my love never went that far, but I'll still miss the curvy old darlings.

11:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home