Tuesday, November 29, 2005

UB40

murdered this song on a jukebox in a bar last night. The Jimmy Cliff original has been on rotation at home today, and I insist upon having it played at my funeral:

Many rivers to cross
But I can`t seem to find my way over
Wandering I am lost as I travel along
The white cliffs of dover
Many rivers to cross and it`s only my will
That keeps me alive
I`ve been licked, washed up for years and,
I merely survive because of my pride.

And this loneliness won`t leave me alone
It`s such a drag to be on your own
My woman left and she did`nt say why
Well I guess, I gotta try.
Many rivers to cross but where to begin,
I`m playing for time
There`ll be times when I find myself thinking
Of committing some dreadful crime.

I`ve got many rivers to cross
But I can`t seem to find my way over
Wandering I am lost as I travel along
The white cliffs of dover
Many rivers to cross and it`s only my will
That keeps me alive
I`ve been licked, washed up for years and,
I merely survive because of my pride.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liukchik,

You are reminding me of music I haven't heard since I was 12. I have it on in the background now. A beautiful song indeed. But, please, November ends tomorrow. No talk of funerals. (Ultimately, the song is as much about his fighting spirit as about gloom.)

Jesus, you need to get some Bucks Fizz or Abba on.

6:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Luke, you have me worried man, but even more worried is Stephen about the fact that is me who has to do the orders these days... I would like to be able to share your almost apocalyptic mood :-P but I am not feeling very tragic lately, only a little be bored and (paradoxically) anxious. I would really like to tell you something entertainig to pay you back for the xbox email but... Ok, there we go: do you know those news about the Bruce Lee Statue that they unveiled last week on Mostar? It is the first one in the world, and they have put it in the middle of the city as a symbol of reconciliation between croats and muslims ~#@!!?? But you probably know that one... Well, I was coming yesterday from the club ( I know, I know, I should not confess I was clubbing yesterday) and when I was going home and the bus stopped in a red traffic light by Lambeth North Station a beggar stood in front of it, asking the driver to open the door. He did not want to move from there so the driver opened the door, got out of the bus and told him to get the fuck off. It was almost three o'clock in the morning ( I suppose I should not confess that either)and you could not see a soul on the street. The beggar rushed into the bus and pushed the driver inside. "You, cunt, leave me alone". You could read on the eyes of the driver that he was thinking about calling the police, but I think that he felt humilliated enough for that night, and decided to follow his way without hesitation.
PS: OKCupid does not work, my friends, do not allow them to cheat on you anymore. I think that all the personal pages there apparently belonging to angelical babies are really generated by a superpowerful computer mixing words at random. Make no mistake: there are no human beings behind those words. The other option would be that nobody likes me, what it seems far more absurd to me :-P

12:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lukeski,

Thank you again for the Marvin Gaye version of Yesterday. I'd never heard it before. It is quite majorly beautiful. Wonderful. I'm listening to it over and over.

Hola Sergio. Que alegria verte de nuevo. Perdoname que no conteste a tu mensaje hace cinquenta anos. Aun si te vemos aqui solo una vez todos los dos meses, estaremos contentos.

Hasta luego, and happy working boys!

7:55 pm  
Blogger lukeski said...

Dezik,
you simply cannot beat Marvin. That boy could sing. And was a tormented soul. God, he even manages to make the Beatles sound good:)

12:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home