Thursday, December 29, 2005

Following mentions

of Staropramen, Gambrinus and other Czech beers over at BiB, as well as a comparison with the more Teutonic beers of Berlin, and a slight Petrozavodsk/Piter-based reminiscence about Baltika and Bochkarev, I did feel an urge to publish a top ten of Central/East European beers. I failed miserably in this endeavour because:

1) I can't remember the names of 10 beers.
2) Those of you who are native to or resident in these areas will disagree, and I could really do without the hassle at the moment.
3) Apart from Staropramen, the only beers from anywhere east of Dublin I've drunk in the last 6 months were a rash of bottles of Polish beer from an off licence in Hanwell. One was raspberry flavoured, and I cannot for the life of me remember what the others were called.
4) This site, despite being shockingly American, is rather good: www.realbeer.com. And does far more justice to Central/Eastern European beers than I ever could.

Instead I'll leave you with some Slovak drink-driving humour, simply labelled "Promile":

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home