Saturday, April 22, 2006

The end of the beautiful game

RIP Tele Santana. My first real memories of football are from the World Cup in 1986, and especially of the Brazilian team:



Their match against the French team of Platini, Giresse and Tigana
is still etched in my mind as the greatest game I have ever watched. A true triumph of skill and technique by the two best teams on the planet at the time (we will ignore the fact that Diego singlehandedly (haha!) dragged the less impressive Argentinian team through to victory). Tele Santana, as touched upon in the BBC report was a strong believer in the fair and beautiful game, and for that, and compelling his immensely talented team to play in that manner, I will be eternally grateful.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But at least there is Portsmouth's survival in the premiership - don't they do this every year? - for another season to celebrate. Are you going to go out and beat some folk up?

6:44 pm  
Blogger lukeski said...

Harry has managed it again. I suppose I should put on my best Ben Sherman and go out looking for trouble.

12:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to get to Berlin NOW if you want a bit of a ruck. I am fresh in from an alcohol-free night out - consider yourself wholly responsible - and the streets are already full of 17-year-old drunks cheering when any one of them breaks something which produces a satisfactory crash or splintering of glass. I think I can safely say I am NOT a revolutionary.

2:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home