Thursday, June 08, 2006

Socrates





















Not the ancient Greek philosopher, but the Brazilian midfield genius of the 1980's. BBC3 has provided a treat this week in the form of World Cup Goals Galore, an hour and half of the best and most unusual goals from the World Cup. A considerable percentgae of them were from the Brazilian team of the 1980's - Josimar's screamer against Northern Ireland in 1986 in particular, but Socrates was always my favourite. Playing international football for Brazil whilst studying medicine and smoking a packet of fags a day. And he made a comeback for Garforth Town in 2004. This has actually made me fall into the reveries of World Cup fever. I have not adorned my car with flags, nor have I fallen foul of a St. George's cross t-shirt. I do not feel the urge to drink poor English lager, nor to throw plastic seating at foreign policemen. I do want to see the greatest players in the world playing to the best of their ability. And it all starts tomorrow. I can't wait. England are not going to win. Argentina are the best team overall. Messi and Aimar are incredibly talented players, and the rest of the team are experienced profesionals, most of whom have played in Europe. They are 8/1 to win the tournament. Shame it is so dangerous to wear an Argentina shirt in Ingerland. Somehow I also managed to get Portugal in the sweepstake at work. No chance, I realise, but what can you do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home