Thursday, November 23, 2006

Hello again

I have had a cold again. Knocked out for a couple of days and I still don't feel human. I am, however, being drawn towards the conclusion that I must, one day, inevitably get an MP3 player. I have avoided for years. Being an consumate audio-snob (yet lacking the funds to really indulge in the more extravagant end of the market), I have soldiered on with my trusty Minidisc. Even with extended play, the compression does not become too intolerable. MP3s, however, as far as I have been able to tell suffer the worst excesses of distortion throughout the audio spectrum. Bass is heavy, but uncontrolled. The middle is wafer thin, and the high's are thin and harsh - all symptoms of the compression, no doubt. Yet now I feel the urge to just be able to transfer several hundred tracks over with no hassle. Without having to record to Minidisc (in the same way you had to with cassettes). A 4GB MP3 allegedly holds around 1,000 songs - enough for a couple of weeks commuting. So what to do, dear readers? I, like Natalie Imbruglia (only far less attractive or female) am torn...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darling, obviously I have no idea what you're talking about on the technical front. Won't a Sony walkman do?

She's a good sport, that Imbruglia lady. I'd fancy her if I was a het.

12:25 am  
Blogger lukeski said...

It is kind of tragic that this is the most immediately pressing problem in my life at the moment (yeah, right).

I just fear Ipods. I wandered into their store on Regent Street the other day. They make most of their money through people accessorizing their Ipod - matching denim belt and Ipod holder? Different coloured covers?

Am I ready to make a lifestyle choice along these lines? Will I match? If I don't will I be unable to leave my flat for the sneers of my contemporaries?

10:18 am  
Blogger pdberger said...

Hey Luke

My advice would be to get something bigger than a 4GB iPod. All you will do is fill it and then wish you had a 30GB or a 40GB iPod.

Plus iPods can be quite handy as a portable hard drive/back up.

I have a 30GB iPhoto. It's rubbish at the gym because it is too big and too heavy. But for international travel it is great.

In fact, I wish I had one of the newer iPods that let you play movies/TV shows so that I didn't have to watch whatever United Airlines chooses.

It's funny about that clip. I saw David Armand perform that act in New York last year. One of my friends here is a friend of at least one of the members of The Hollow Men. They just finished a run on Radio 4.

4:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home