Thursday, January 25, 2007

Mortality

So my bank think it is necessary for me to take out life insurance before my 30th birthday. They have never contacted me about this before. Do they know something I don't? Especially as is there is no lump sum at the end of the policy, and they frequently refer to the fact that my dependents will receive a payout if I should die within the first 15 years of the policy.

Is another 15 years really the best I can hope for? If so, that is two thirds of my life over with already. And it means that I was middle-aged at 22 - something that probably won't come as a surprise to most of you. And I certainly feel it. My back has been bad this week - it went whilst cleaning the kitchen floor. It is almost back to normal now - after 2 days and repeated hot baths it seems to have clicked back.

It caused enormous hilarity for the other residents of Ealing as I hobbled down to the Tube station on Wednesday morning - even the mentally ill Irish woman I pass at precisely 9.52 looked at me with pity, rather than screaming obscenities at me as usual - this was, of course, compounded by the 'snowstorm' that hit Britain and brought London to a halt once again. I no longer have either the energy or the inclination to rant once again about lack of preparation/Tubes/trains, etc. And it makes no difference - an inch (2.5cm for the European readers) of snow. I will point you back to my Grossman/TFL post, as this explains it all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darling, sorry to hear you're temporarily a raspberry. You probably need a holiday. Are you STILL off booze? My body is a wreck, but I am over 6 years older than you. And I was perhaps born a wreck.

Can you give me a hint of what to send you for your big birthday on Valentine's Day? Turning 30! Imagine! Would you like something ready or listeny? Bearing in mind that this will have to be - well, doesn't have to be, actually - an internet jobby, ready or listeny sounds good. Quickly become one of those people with an Amazon wishlist.

12:44 am  
Blogger lukeski said...

Sorry, no Amazon wishlist... I only tend to get household stuff from their - all my books, CDs etc come through work - next day delivery and no postage.
My back is (slowly) getting better. I am worried that I am insufficiently mature to be 30 - everyone else I've known who has had a 30th birthday have seemed incredibly grown-up.

7:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vomited in a gay nightclub called Sinners (Грешники) in St. Petersburg on my 30th birthday. I haven't matured a single ounce since then. Though I have aged.

7:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home