Saturday, September 17, 2005

some thoughts on recent popular culture

Having been extremely busy in my G&C-free time working on a translation for Discovery Channels, it's only now that I can make a contribution and share with all fellow bloggers some of the things that have been inspiring me recently. And since music is a medium that has the power to touch my soul in the most profound ways (many a time I have found myself moved to tears by a beautiful piece of soul or electro), here are (some of) my recent favourites:
1. Supernature - album by Goldrapp. This is such brilliant stuff, electronic music with a beating heart... great tunes, retro yet innovative production, and it's full of really bizzarre kind of elegant, sterile sleaze... My favourite track is no 3 (Lovely 2 C U).
2. Late Registration by Kanye West. A patchy effort, not as good as his first one, but still an excellent album. Kanye talks about important things, plays with musical styles, experiments with production (some songs sound like Massive Attackesque trip hop) and imbues the whole thing with a lot of passion. Tracks that stand out for me are Roses, Hey Mama (I actually called my mum after listening to this) and the glorious first single Diamonds from Sierra Leone.
3. Random Order - album by Juliet. She's an American girl who makes top shelf dance and chill out music. I loved the first single, Avalon, bought the album and wasn't disappointed... Her voice has a wistful, melancholic quality that befits the slightly cold, minimalist beats of her songs.
Finally, a few thoughts on singles... I loved Dare by Gorillas, I think it beats anything that Damon Albarn has ever done, with or without Blur...It's so catchy, infectious...One evening me and my flatmates listened to it 12 times in a row over a bottle of Merlot... I also loved Mariah Carey's latest offering We Belong Together, it's such a well-crafted pop song. I'm glad for Mariah, she hit rock bottom a few years ago but seems to have come back stronger. Proof that even when times are very very bad there is always hope for a reversal of our fortunes. And with this uplifting message I salute all fellow bloggers, until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home