Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Summer has

also arrived (kind of). We are expecting 24Âșc by Friday. So my hay fever will be in full effect by the end of the week. The joys of British summer time are also on the way. I am convinced I have heard an ice-cream van in the vicinity (although it may just be one of the random noises I hear in my head). Now, to get all middle-aged and maudlin, there do seem to be fewer ice-cream vans doing the rounds these days than when I was a kid. Is this because it is easy to get hold of (much better quality) ice-cream cheaply through supermarkets now, or because kids don't play out in the streets any longer (due to parents' fears of allergies, injuries and/or paedophiles), or are my ears no longer attuned to the tinkling muzak that emanates from these gaudy harbingers of cold creamy joy?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I'm sure you're right that there are fewer and fewer of them. Probably been banned for something or other. Maybe they were driven exclusively by paedophiles. Actually, I was run over when running with joy back home from the icecream van holding my Double Dalek. I think I held on to the lolly even as I was carried off to hospital. All very dramatic, but nothing broken and only a big, fuck-off bruise, though I couldn't walk for a while. My father claimed a member of the clergy saved my life. I remind myself that I am glad to be an atheist.

4:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw an ice-cream van parked in Lincoln Inn Fields in central London at lunchtime today. I thought it was a perfect place to catch office workers on their breaks.

5:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home